Cicadas are here! Are they safe for my cats and dogs?

Cicadas are here! Are they safe for my cats and dogs?

Cicadas are generally safe for cats and dogs to interact with and even eat in small amounts. These insects are not toxic and do not pose a significant health risk to pets. However, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
  1. Digestive Upset: Eating too many cicadas can cause digestive upset in pets, leading to vomiting or diarrhea. The exoskeletons of cicadas can be difficult to digest and may irritate the gastrointestinal tract.

  2. Choking Hazard: Cicadas can potentially pose a choking hazard, especially for smaller pets.

  3. Pesticides: Ensure that the cicadas your pets encounter have not been exposed to pesticides or other chemicals, which could be harmful if ingested.

  4. Allergic Reactions: Although rare, some pets might have allergic reactions to eating cicadas. Watch for signs of allergic reactions, such as swelling, itching, or difficulty breathing.

In general, it’s best to monitor your pets when they are outside during cicada season. If your pet does consume a large number of cicadas or shows signs of distress, contact your veterinarian for advice.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.